The Pepperell Historical Society hosted an Open House at the recently donated 1844 brick schoolhouse, known as District No. 3, October 14th with over 100 people attending. A gift from John and Laurence Bagley, this was probably the first public event to take place in the building since the school was closed in the 1890’s. Visitors viewed the simple Greek Revival one-room schoolhouse with the rafters for a vaulted ceiling, early blackboards and hand drawn maps depicting the world in the late 19th century. Both donors, John and Laurence Bagley stopped and expressed their appreciation for work by Society members to date on the historic structure. Representative Robert Hargraves also visited delivering his congratulations and best wishes to the Society.
In the 2 months since the Bagley’s gift, Society members have been making the building more weather tight and other work immediately necessary for use of the House. Many people have donated time and money towards this effort. A parking area was created with backhoe services donated by Carl Shattuck, owner of Shattuck Trucking Co. and fill supplied by the Highway Division of the Pepperell Dept of Public Works. Additional parking for the Open House was provided on adjacent land owned by Stephen T. Foley of Design Builders.
Refreshments were served through donations made by Donelan’s
market, Kimball Fruit Farm and Valley and Society member Claudette Gosselin.
Decorations with a fall harvest theme were donated by Jon Kaiser of
Twin Valley Farm.
On November 15th, the PHS is hosting a presentation of New England railroad history by author Ron Karr. The talk will take place 7 PM at the Lawrence Library.
More information about the Pepperell Historical Society can be found at www.pepperellhistory.org.
Use of the truck and trailer was donated by Michael Hartnett
who also drove the parade route. Many thanks to Mike. Members
on the float include Rose Hartwell, Ron Karr, Jane Ford and Susan Smith.
“The Lost Railroads of Pepperell”
Lost Railroads of New England by Ron Karr